I love going out and hiking. Now, I’m not super-rugged or tough but my beau proposed to me while we were out hiking. Need I say more?
One way to ‘try out’ hiking or explore new paths is National Trails Day. Since I’ll be in Connecticut, I have been going through some of the programs offered in the state and have really enjoyed picking out which ones to attend. Fortunately, CT has decided to extend the weekend so I have more options to choose from! If you don’t enjoy traditional hiking, there are guided bike excursions, kayaking and sunset walks. There are also trail cleaning expeditions and guided garden walks at various historic houses. If you want a paper pamphlet, try going to your local library, which is where I first found out about the program.
- Guided hike at Big Bend Ranch State Park to mark National Trails Day on June 1 (alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com)
- Celebrate National Trails Day with Champlain Area Trails (essexonlakechamplain.com)
- Clarksville Parks and Recreation celebrates National Trails Day with Greenway clean-up (clarksvilleonline.com)
- National Trails Day – Saturday, June 1, 2013 (hikeroxbury.org)
- June 1st Community Day at Black Run Preserve (blackrun.org)